At Action Centres UK we have a current vacancy for an Instructor to join our Activities Team at Pioneer, Shropshire.
The main purpose of this role is to ensure delivery of activities and facilitate learning experiences in line with the Organisation’s guidelines for the development of young people who are members of groups served by the Centre.
Duties & Responsibilities
- To instruct activity sessions and facilitated learning experiences for residential and day visitor groups as qualifications and internal staff training allow.
- In line with the needs of the Centre to carry out the night porter role (10pm to 8am) average 2 nights per ten weeks.
To assist the Senior Instructor with all the following:
- To ensure that all operational procedures are carried out to the required safety standards, and that all equipment is installed and maintained to Health and Safety legislation standards.
- Where appropriate, and in conjunction with the Senior Instructor, help train the activity staff to set standards.
- To liaise with group leader(s) at the start of each session to ensure that there is a mutual understanding concerning the activities about to take place.
- Ensuring that the Instructors’ Code of Practice and handbook is adhered to at all times.
- To establish via the Senior Instructor or the group leaders(s) whether there are any particular needs of the guests, e.g. learning difficulties, physical/emotional problems, and to ensure that any are handled sensitively during the activities.
- To ensure that the activity team is fully aware of the day’s activity programme and any other relevant information that may be required.
- When not on activities, make every effort to keep the team usefully occupied with training, session maintenance and development or other scheduled tasks.
- When requested, to assist with either the maintenance or domestic teams when extra help is required – and to assist in any other aspect that may arise to ensure the smooth running of the Centre.
- Must be flexible and adaptable, self-motivated and a pro-active worker
- Ability to relate with young people
- Outgoing personality with a keen sense of humour
- Calmness in difficult stressful situations
- First Aid Qualification
- 1 NGB Qualification
- Canoe/Kayak Star awards
- Other senior NGB qualifications
- At least 1 seasons experience of working within the outdoor industry
- Leading various activity sessions with a variety of groups
- Talking and liaising with group leaders
- Experience of being responsible for other areas of an activity Centre
- Uphold the foundations and act with integrity and in accordance with the organisation’s values.
- A flexible approach to working hours, ability to work, sometimes, long days for sustained periods
- Hold a D1 endorsement on a clean Driving License
Knowledge & Skills
- Understands operating procedures and risk assessments.
- Be able to keep neat accurate records.
- Ability to give clear and concise instructions
- Ability to deal with challenging behavior
- High level of competence in leading activity sessions
- I.T Skills
- Experience of general maintenance work
- A committed team player
- Excellent communication skills