Looking for a unique gap year experience? This will hit the spot.
We run a highly successful gap year programme called Firm Foundations, the course is completely free and a great introduction to the outdoor industry or a challenging year out. Firm Foundations provides a unique opportunity to work with young people and industry standard qualifications free of charge. During the year you will learn various skills and be trained to run many different activities for schools and visitors of our activity centres.
What’s included in the course?
- 9 industry recognised qualifications
- Free accommodation
- Free meals
- Full training to lead various different outdoor sessions
- Several trips throughout the year to grow your skills in the outdoors
- £200 a month
What qualifications will I get?
- Archery Instructor Award (Archery GB)
- Paddle Explore (British Canoeing)
- Paddle Sports Instructor (British Canoeing)
- Fencing Core Coach (British Fencing Association)
- Foundation Safety & Rescue Training (British Canoeing)
- Power Boat Level 2
- Level 1 & 2 Sailing (RYA)
- 16 Hour First Aid – Emergency First Aid + AED Training (Rescue Emergency Care)
PLUS £150 to put towards any other qualifications you are interested in.
Can anyone apply?
Yes! Our course is open to anyone over the age of 18 years old. You don’t need any previous experience working in the outdoors or with young people but it does help.