An opportunity has arisen at our Head Office based in King’sPark, Moulton Park, Northampton, for a part time (26 hours per week) Youth Development Worker for our Youthwork department.
Youth Development Workers are responsible for assisting in setting up vibrant youth groups; delivering engaging activities, meeting the needs of young people in communities and providing enthusiastic role models for young people.
There are certain principles of work that underpin the activities outlined below. All Youth Development Workers are expected to be competent communicators in writing and verbally; they should be able to represent NAYC with enthusiasm and poise. Youth Development Workers should be excellent networkers and understand ways to identify opportunities whilst exercising appropriate accountability through management structure.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Plan and Lead activity sessions for young people in affiliated youth groups and clubs countywide in conjunction with the area Youth Development Coordinator. Session times are generally between 1-2 hours, most are during weekday evenings.
- Visit NAYC affiliated groups on a regular basis to encourage and support leaders, promote NAYC & ACUK activities and services. Complete appropriate Visit Reports and update YD office records.
- Actively seek out opportunities to start up new groups and clubs through networking, research and community engagement.
- Research, contact and visit existing non-affiliated clubs and groups to promote NAYC’s support and encourage affiliation to NAYC. Keep appropriate records of these visits.
- Encourage affiliated groups involvement in NAYC & ACUK events and wider activities.
- Support NAYC local Youth Forums and raise awareness of the importance of youth involvement and engagement.
- Support the NAYC Training programme, including some delivery of up-to-date and relevant training for youth leaders, volunteers and young people.
- Attend NAYC run activities and events, including occasional residential events.
- Support NAYC & ACUK Activity programmes during school term breaks.
- Maintain links with other youth organisations and interested parties for inter-agency partnership, the promotion of our local activities and the wider work of NAYC & ACUK.
- Attend weekly YD team meetings and occasional project meetings as required.
- Keep up to date records.
- Use social media to promote NAYC’s work and activity.
- Assist in other aspects of NAYC’s work that may be required, as necessary.
- Relates and communicates well with people of different ages and levels of authority
- A team worker who contributes to the team
- Self-starter able to work to set deadlines and achieve them
- Reliable and able to deliver against objectives
- Non-judgmental person who demonstrates awareness/understanding of equal opportunities
- Experience of public speaking
- Experience of mapping and identifying local needs
- Experience of handling difficult situations and conflict
- Appropriate level of education and qualification for the post
- Ability to plan and deliver appropriate and inclusive activity sessions and programmes for groups of young people
- Ability to travel to different locations, without the use of public transport
- Experience of working with children
- Ability to self-manage and show initiative, without direct supervision
- Experience of working with voluntary organisations
- Knowledge about working with statutory organisations e.g. Local councils, Schools & Education and Health & Social Care
- Experience of management and development of projects
- Proficient with MS Office applications and writing reports
- Professional qualification in education, youth work, health or social work
- A clean driving license
- Experience of planning personal development programmes
- Experience of delivering training